If I had an Abuela, she would probably smack me for partially baking my tostones.
Traditionally, you would double fry tostones to get crispy perfection. If you are anything like me, you don’t always have the time or energy to make that happen.
I love the plantain chips from Trader Joe’s, but the closest one to my house is about 45 minutes away. When I want tostones in a pinch, this is my go to recipe.
You can add any combo of seasonings you would like. I’m completely addicted to the Everything But the Bagel Seasoning which I used for the purposes of this recipe. (In case you were wondering, this spice mix is DELICIOUS with guacamole!)
Baked TostonesCourse: AppetizersDifficulty: Easy
1 Tb Coconut or Avocado Oil
Seasonings (I used Everything But The Bagel Seasoning)
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Remove skin and cut plantain into 1/4″ pieces
- Heat oil in a pan on the stovetop to med-high heat
- Cook eat plaintain about 2min per side until it starts to turn golden in color
- Arrange plantains on prepared baking sheet and smash each one down with something heavy (I usually use a pan or the flat side of my meat mallet)
- Sprinkle with desired seasonings (except for salt)
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Salt immediately when removed from oven
- Serve with your favorite sauce or dip!