I wanted to come up with a hearty, creamy chicken recipe that I could enjoy on or off a round of Whole30.
Currently we are on Day 26 of a Whole30 and I am kicking myself for not coming up with this recipe sooner! It is simple enough to make on a weeknight, delicious enough to enjoy off a round, and the ingredients are in line with not just Whole30/Paleo cooking, but also Keto!
We have been looking to minimize starchy vegetables as often as possible without sacrificing that “comfort food” feel. Though – this chicken dish would be KILLER with a side of crispy potatoes.
Coconut cream can work magic – so if you feel like you are missing out, give this recipe a try for healthy, flavorful comfort food!
If you don’t have a cast iron, you can use any deep skillet. Though, I do prefer this recipe in my cast iron. You can buy them under $30 – here is the one I have!
Whole30 Mushroom Spinach ChickenCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Easy
1.5lb Chicken Breast, approximately 6 cutlets of equal size
1/2 cup onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
10 oz mushrooms, washed and sliced
5oz container of baby spinach
2 Tb avocado oil
1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
13.5oz can of coconut cream (or coconut milk)
1 tsp tapioca starch
- Liberally season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper
- Heat cast iron pan to medium-high heat. Once hot, add avocado oil
- Cook Chicken 3-4 mins per side or until browned. Transfer to a plate
- Remove any burnt/brown bits from the pan. If necessary, add up to 1Tb of oil if needed to re-coat the pan.
- Lower heat to medium and add onion. Cook until translucent (approx 5 minutes)
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant (approx 30seconds)
- Add mushrooms and cook until soften (approximately 5 mins)
- Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Add red pepper flakes and salt to taste.
- Add coconut cream and let simmer until flavors combine and sauce starts to thicken (approximately 5 minutes)
- Ladle 1/2 cup of the sauce into a small bowl whisk in tapioca starch. This will help minimize clumping.
- Add 1/2 cup sauce back to cast iron and mix thoroughly and continue cooking until sauce thickens (approximately 5 minutes)
- Add chicken back to the pan and let simmer for an additional 1-mins to reheat and coat chicken in sauce
- Serve and enjoy!
- This meal is great on its own, served with a side salad, or crispy potatoes!