It’s April in New Hampshire… which means the weather is hovering between 40-60 degrees on any given day. There is nothing better then getting cozy with a warm cup of soup – especially if you don’t have to spend time slaving over the stove.
I’m fairly new to Keto, but I have been successful with low-carb diets in the past. Losing nearly 70lbs following a low-carb diet in 2004ish, I know this way of eating works for me. I’m excited to bring some of my favorites from that point in my life back to you now through this blog and couldn’t think of a better recipe to start with.
Unprompted, I had my first critic review the meal:
⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
This may be the best broccoli soup you’ve ever made!My dear husband who is obsessed with broccoli cheddar soup
This recipe could also be made on the stove top or in a pressure cooker. The options are limitless, but the soup is hits the spot no matter what.
I personally prefer the set-it-and-forget it method – the soup is perfectly hot and ready when I am. Pro-tip: keep the slow cooker on warm so when you go back for seconds, its freshy-fresh!
I love that the ingredients in this recipe are as simple at the instructions. I’ve always used fresh broccoli in broccoli cheddar soup but had frozen on hand and didn’t even notice a difference in the final product. I gathered up the supplies (hooray for not having to cut or clean the broccoli!) and got them going in the slow cooker, only to have ooey-gooey cheesy goodness ready for me 8 hours later.
Slow Cooker Keto Broccoli Cheddar SoupCourse: Lunch, DinnerDifficulty: Easy
1 Tb Avocado Oil
1 small sweet onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Large Carrot, grated (about 3/4 cup)
5 cups frozen broccoli florets
4 oz cream cheese (or 1/2 block)
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
12 oz heavy cream
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
8oz bag of shredded cheddar cheese (we like it with sharp cheddar!)
(optional) 4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Heat avocado oil in a small pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute 5-8 minutes or until translucent.
- Add garlic to onion and saute until fragrant, approximately 1 minute
- Add onion mixture, carrots, frozen broccoli, cream cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and chicken broth to slow cooker
- Set on low and cook 8-10 hours (or 4-6 hours on high) until broccoli is tender
- Use an immersion blender to blend soup until there are only a few remaining small chunks.
- Turn the slow cooker on high and stir in the heavy cream.
- Once well mixed, stir in the cheddar cheese and stir until combined.
- Cover the slow cooker and let the soup heat on high for another 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted.
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with a sprinkle of extra cheddar cheese (and maybe some crumbled bacon if you’re feeling frisky!), Enjoy!
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, a regular blender ill work! Jut ladle soup into a blender and pulse until you reach the desired texture. Return soup to slow cooker and continue on with step 6.
- Stove-top: This recipe could be made on the stove top by simply following the below instructions and cooking until the broccoli is tender.
- Pressure Cooker/Instapot: This recipe could also be made in a pressure cooker (replace step 4 by setting on high for 12 minutes and allow a natural release before continuing on with step 5 as instructed).
This recipe serves 4-6 with 7-10 net carbs based on serving size.