If I could choose anytime to do a Whole30, it would be springtime. I find it easier to meal plan when grilling is an option, more fruits and veggies are in season, and a cold salad sounds like the perfect meal option.
In the winter, I never want salads- or anything cold. It can be difficult coming up with compliant “comfort” foods without making the same thing over and over again.
I am happy spring is here in New England! Grilling and/or salads will be on the menu at least once a week!
I love fruit on my salad, so it only seemed natural to make this tropical Asian salad.
Tropical Asian SaladCourse: Lunch, DinnerDifficulty: Medium
Note: If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can add the dressing ingredients to a regular blender instead!
1/4 cup Orange Juice
2Tb Coconut Aminos
1tsp apple cider vinegar
1tsp rice wine vinegar
1/2tsp sesame oil
Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
2Tb light olive oil (or avocado oil)
1lb chicken breast, cubed
1/2 Pineapple, cut into small slices
1 Mango, pitted, peeled, and diced
1/4 cup Mandarin Slices, packed in juice (We use Dole Brand)
1 Cucumber, Sliced thin
1/4 cup Jicama, diced
5oz Spring Mix
– 6 cloves garlic
– 1tsp fresh ginger
– 1/2cup coconut aminos
– 4 Tb apple cider vinegar
– 1Tb toasted sesame oil
– 2 pitted dates
- To make the dressing: Add dates to a mason jar and cover with boiling water. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Drain water from dates, and add remaining dressing ingredients (garlic, ginger, coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, and sesame oil).
- Blend the dressing in the mason jar with an immersion blender and set aside. *See note if you don’t have an immersion blender
- In a medium bowl, mix together orange juice, coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil on med-high heat in a cast iron pan. As the pan heats, sprinkle chicken with pepper and salt to taste.
- Add chicken to pan and cook until fully cooked and starting to turn golden brown. Approx 4 minutes per side.
- Add mixture to pan and mix to coat chicken. Continue to cook to reduce, approximately 5 minutes.
- Time to assemble the salad! Top lettuce with chicken, mango, pineapple, jicama, cucumber, and chicken. Drizzle with dressing.
- If you don’t have an immersion blender – add all dressing ingredients to a regular blender instead!